PDA

View Full Version : alligator skin...anyone?

jason prouty
04-02-2007, 03:01 PM
anyone have a technique for achieving an alligator skin look?

I spoke with a professional interior faux finisher and she used cheese cloth, but that's on wall and with texture, i'm working on quad plastics.....

Cowboy
04-02-2007, 03:29 PM
Jason. those little scrunchy things that the ladies use for Bathing work perty well, They can be cut apart & stetched to Make oddball sizes also so it doesn,t look to uniforum. Just a thought. Cowboy

jason prouty
04-02-2007, 03:33 PM
she's got one.........i'm gonna go check it out...................

colourshift
04-02-2007, 03:40 PM
onion bags, or fruit/potato bags...the weave is uneven, but small...I'm hoping it's a small alligator.

Food for thought:
This is something I need to try in automotive...it's an illustrator trick (Cacy again)... you can make your own transfers using xerox's, acetone or xyline (the stuff used in old blender markers, they don't put it in the markers anymore- but I've seen cans of it at Home Depot paint dept)... There's papers out there that look like embossed alligator skin. He would spray the paper from the side, creating an instant shadow on the paper...then copy it. Using the xerox, face down...he'd rub the back with the blender marker (or acetone) and the xerox ink would leave behind an image onto the surface (granted, we were using illustration board)... it's a great way to get "instant" texture without having to render the whole thing. I'm going to try this on a sign blank, paint away and have it cleared..one - to see if it even transfers. Two...to see if it reacts with the clear coat.

If I think of any other materials that might work for you Jason, I'll jot em down here.

L

jason prouty
04-02-2007, 03:46 PM
thanks Lynne and Cowboy, don't have an onion bag handy, but went to the shower and cut up my wife's scruchie thingy, she had two, one with a smaller pattern and one with a larger. I'm gonna try the larger one, the client left me a piece of the seat upholstery and it's alligator and i think this will work, i'll definatley let you guys know, i'll get some pics this time.......

rsstoned
04-02-2007, 04:40 PM
cant remember where i found this was online somewhere ...

Maxx
04-03-2007, 12:17 AM
I always wondered if the Cacy technique would work on metal. That'd be awesome if it did.
http://www.kustomkulturelounge.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3239 Here's a link to another technique for doing scales.

airarts
04-03-2007, 01:09 AM
I have that Casey DVD too! Jason, don't go stealing the other 1/2s lady things!

Fishnet stockins!

colourshift
04-03-2007, 10:22 AM
I've got a sign blank all geared up and ready to go, it's experiment time kids!

Maxx
04-03-2007, 08:30 PM
Good luck, I hope it works! Is it a plastic or metal sign blank?

jason prouty
04-04-2007, 08:24 PM
Eureka!!!!!

ok, i've been playng with this all day long, bangin the head against the wall!!!!:banghead: i've never practiced so much in my life! I've discovered a technique that is friggin awesome and takes minimal effort with nice results!!!! Didn't use any shield or netting for the effect either. I'm not tellin how yet!

I'm gonna take lots of photos and possibly if they come out good i'll make my first how-to out of it.

yeeeeeeeehaaaaaaaaaa:guitarist:

colourshift
04-04-2007, 08:28 PM
You better tell Jason, I'm curious as hell. Please please?

blinddog 99
04-04-2007, 08:30 PM
Eureka!!!!!

ok, i've been playng with this all day long, bangin the head against the wall!!!!:banghead: i've never practiced so much in my life! I've discovered a technique that is friggin awesome and takes minimal effort with nice results!!!! Didn't use any shield or netting for the effect either. I'm not tellin how yet!

I'm gonna take lots of photos and possibly if they come out good i'll make my first how-to out of it.

yeeeeeeeehaaaaaaaaaa:guitarist:

That's it, its now officially cast in stone. Good thing I don't have any alligator commissions coming up right away, lol.......... love to see your discovery Jason!

jason prouty
04-06-2007, 02:04 AM
I always wondered if the Cacy technique would work on metal. That'd be awesome if it did.
http://www.kustomkulturelounge.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3239 Here's a link to another technique for doing scales.

hey maxx, tried to see the photos in the thread but they wouldn't let me, so then i registered and logged in and still won't show the pics, i'm anxious to see what he did

jason prouty
04-06-2007, 02:35 AM
well, ok, i did the deed now i'm gonna post it in the how to section

jason prouty
04-06-2007, 02:22 PM
hey maxx, tried to see the photos in the thread but they wouldn't let me, so then i registered and logged in and still won't show the pics, i'm anxious to see what he did

Maxx......
i was able to get in the site and see the photos, pretty cool man, thanks for sharing it, that's a nice place there, reminds me alot of here, similar size and vibe

Maxx
04-07-2007, 06:54 PM
Jason, nice work! I'm sorry I've been away this week, but I just saw your work on the other site and read the thread here. Your a genious!
Way to go man!
:clapping2: