PDA

View Full Version : Ghost Flames Help?

blinddog 99
12-03-2006, 01:15 PM
Hi guys & gals, I have a customer that is asking for Silver Ghost flames over black base paint. I have some ideas on how to do it, and will do some tests, but wondered if anyone can get me started in the right direction. Never done this before, any suggestions would be appreciated.

Whit
12-03-2006, 01:36 PM
Well,,, one approach could be,,,
(ol style flame) tape the flames off,,,
with just a pinch of silver pearl in clear
dust around edges of masking and mabye
hit a tad heavier in thin areas !!!
Should give a flame that does'nt show
that strong till the sun hits it !!!
The heavier the pearl mix,,,
the stronger the flame shows !!!
Does this help ???

blinddog 99
12-03-2006, 03:13 PM
Thanks Whit, yep its old school flames, just wasn't sure on the silver, pearl makes sense. Gonna have to do tests to try to get just enough coverage, without overdoing it.

On Sight
12-11-2006, 06:50 PM
I have only done 2 ghost flames 1 on yellow (ford zinc) and 1 on black. I shot a couple test panels and found I liked it best when I mixed silver and pink/rose pearl 50/50 with clear. Spay the edges a little heavy with fade to middle. I just liked what the pink added to it in the sunlight. Just my .02
Jeff.

blinddog 99
12-11-2006, 07:11 PM
Interesting Jeff, I was thinking of using the silver pearl, 50-50 with Kandy Violette, similar idea, just looking for that subtle tint in the direct sun. Same idea, will shoot a test panel this week and post for reference......

redhouse
12-12-2006, 08:16 AM
super easy! just layout you flames in "fine line" (1/8" vinyl tape). mask them off. then getting back about 4-5 inches, spray along the contour of your flame. leave the inside black. the key to keeping the spraying smooth is "higher pressure and keeping back"

redhouse
12-12-2006, 08:20 AM
when i worked for Big Dog Motorcycles, ghost flames were the quickest and easiest paintjob. i could do a front fender, back fender, tank and oilbag in less than an hour. contrary to popular belief, a ghostflame is sprayed around the contours of the flame. not dusting paint with a gun over the entire flame. hopefully soon i'll get to doing a how-to on ghostflames and other styles of flames.

redhouse
12-12-2006, 08:23 AM
PS. for best results, base your sheetmetal and then clear it then sand it with 600 grit. this will result in a super smooth subsrtate to apply your ghostflame. just make sure to wetsand with 800 grit if you use a fine metalic to prevent sand scratches.

blinddog 99
12-12-2006, 12:09 PM
Cool, thanks Jason, great tips. I tried a test, and it seemed really easy, I guess I get involved in detail (airbrush illustration stuff) I just thought there had to be something missing, LOL.

I look forward to your "how to's" on such subjects.

helmetguy
01-02-2007, 01:19 AM
Here is ghost flames on a SSR. This is a gold pearl in a clear base over the factory yellow.

blinddog 99
01-02-2007, 05:05 AM
Wow, Pat, that's nice work!

Clem
03-11-2007, 05:22 PM
I could use some ideas for a brite blue background. White pearl over the blue was not as expected. I need to do some more tests, think I'll try some trans blue in with the white pearl to see how that is.

Brite blue over dark base, didn't want it real light. White and yellow emblem on the tank.

Ideas and suggestions requested.

Thanks.

Mickey O Tool
06-11-2007, 07:21 PM
Redhouse is on the money as to putting down the ghost flames . How many of us old timers remember the old school dark flames in kandy apple over a light base then using the translucent lighter pearl mixed with clear as the final coat. We were doing Hot rods with real pearl powder then . The pearl was just enough to hide the flames until the sun hit at the right angle.