+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Painting a Propane tank ?

Armed Guardian of ABTech and Chief Thread Jacker Cowboy's Avatar

Painting a Propane tank ?

Not a lil one for the barbeq , But a 500 gallon one . Ok My question is, Has anyone painted one. Or know the rules Of wether they can be. I own the tank, Its Gawd awfull silver & at this time I dont use it , But Is updated with the new valves & such & has about 150 gallons of Fuel in it, I really couldn,t see it that well before but after Clearing Brush & trees around it. Its an Eyesore & dying ta have Sumpthin on it . Someday I might use it for heat only in the shop So want to make sure I can still get it filled if needed , Ive done a google search to no avail & called the closest COOP that would possibly fill it in the future & all They say is a heat reflective paint would be safest . But cant tell Me wether They,ll fill it untill They look at it. Still not much help. I Want some pertys on it , Aint sure what Yet , & just wunderin if Anyones dealt with this type of thing , Has any ideas , I just kinda want it to look like its not really a big Ole ugly tank, Sorry for the book again Just want to give enough info. Thanks in advance .
    Cowboy......

"Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never
    encountered automatic weapons." - General MacArthur

Sorry heres a pic

For those that might not know what one looks like. the rock & Trees And all are cleared out since this pic. So it kinda really sticks out. Theres still a few trees & I plan on putting rock around the base with some kinda ground cover , I,m thinking of paintin the trees in it with some critters also Maybe. Thanks again .
    Attached Images
    Cowboy......

Global Moderator / Sunday Art & Kustom Show Moderator Whit's Avatar
    You're prob okay to do a lil work on it,,,
    I'm thinkin I'd kinda stay off the upper
    areas on it tho,,, and not to much coverage
    even on the areas you paint !!! Heat adds
    up to pressure in those things,,, might make
    an alarm clock that could have lasting
    memories,,, if you know what I mean !!!
    Other than that,,, Have a Great Day !!!
    Don't Believe Everything You Think !!!
    Be Yourself,,, Everyone Else is Taken !!!

Check your state regulations before you paint a tank that is still in service. If you paint it, and your state laws are anything like mine, the propane company won't be allowed under law to fill it.

Here in Georgia propane tanks have to be painted that ugly silver color... they call it "safety silver". It has a certain reflective quality to it that makes it visible even in the dark. Here you also have to have the top that covers the valve and regulator painted in an even uglier "safety red".

Just a head's up for you. Hate to see you put a great piece of artwork on your propane tank only to have to paint over it with that ugly silver again.
    Ron Brown
    GetNoticed Signs & Graphics

Whenever somebody says "it can't be done", they are usually interrupted by somebody who is already doing it.

Ok Whit & Ron, Thanks for the input, Its an older tank but has the latest valves & such on it. Most around here these days are all white, & I have a rubberised heat shielding white metal roof coating I may just put on it For now, Gotta look better than silver , Through some critters on it & if I decide ta get it filled at a later date I can cover them up I recon. Thanks again.
    Cowboy......

OOOHHH MYYY EYES!!!! That did hurt CB!!! Yep ye better check on those regulations before ya paint!!! That was the glare of the ''safety silver''

HEY COWBOY
    yes i have painted a 1000 gal tank and then painted it again
    i checked regs state county and fire no one had spacifics on color it was for a cust, of mine in construction area he wonted it to match hi brown trim of the house so i sanded it pried and painted it dark brown !!!!
    wow i hadent finished when the presser valve trarted lettin of steam
    so in a panic by night i redone it in a tan or med brown well it took till noon to blow its stack this time so now its white and and hasent lost its cool since
    injoy
    WEASEL’S DREAD WERE EAGLES TREAD!

Hey Rex, Where Ya been Bud ?, Thanks thats exactly the info I was lookin for Someone thats painted one ,lol . Even though I have no plans of filling nor using it in the near future It does have fuel in it. So White would be better than the Fugly silver. Thanks for the info. & Dont be a stranger.
    Cowboy......

Corporal Henningsen (Recruiting Officer) and Senior Member airarts's Avatar
    Hey Cowboy, if you aren't allowed to paint on it, maybe you can paint a canvas or a tarp that covers it up? Just a thought....

yea white would be better but as bigwater said some states have regs on it we do now to but they are not to tight and it depends on its location to the road and structures but the fire marshal will tell ya that
    and make sure it law not his opinion! and your fire insurance close may have a word on it to

any ho I have been shut down buy the “PUTTER COPS” here at work so today I found a back door in don’t know how long it will last but till then I’ll splash my know nothing around alittle
    WEASEL’S DREAD WERE EAGLES TREAD!

+ Reply to Thread